Agriculture Secretary Sonny Perdue has announced the appointment of sixteen members to serve on the National Watermelon Promotion Board. The appointees will serve three-year terms from Jan. 1, 2019, to Dec. 31, 2021.
Three of those appointees are Georgians.
Members appointed are:
- Mr. Dalton Willis Borders, Edinburg, Texas
- Mr. Cody Buckley, San Antonio, Texas
- Ms. Jordan Carter, Cordele, Ga.
- Mr. Richard Chastain, Alva, Fla.
- Mr. John Gee, Temecula, Calif.
- Mr. Jose F. Gomez Ph.D., El Paso, Texas
- Mr. W. Rodney Jackson, Autryville, N.C.
- Mr. Michael J. Marks, Capron, Va.
- Mr. Rod Rosales, Kingsburg, Calif.
- Mr. James Sharp, Sims, N.C.
- Mr. Matt Solana, Louisburg, N.C.
- Mr. Carlos Vickers, Nashville, Ga.
- Mr. Darren K. Wiggins, Center, Texas
Members re-appointed include:
- Mr. Luke B. Brown, Center, Texas
- Mr. Rob Greene, Arabi, Ga.
- Mr. Jesse James Wiggins, Center, Texas
“The 1,500 growers, shippers and importers of watermelon in the United States will be well served by these board members who will provide key direction to help the watermelon industry meet consumer demand,” Perdue said.
The 41-member Board is composed of 14 producers, 14 handlers, 12 importers and one public member. One-third of the Board members are appointed each year.
More information about the National Watermelon Promotion Board, including a roster of members, is available on AMS’ National Watermelon Promotion Board webpage and at the National Watermelon Promotion Board website.
Since 1966, Congress has authorized 22 industry-funded research and promotion boards to provide a framework for agricultural industries to pool their resources and combine efforts to develop new markets, strengthen existing markets and conduct important research and promotion activities. The Agricultural Marketing Service (AMS) provides oversight, paid for by industry assessments, which helps ensure fiscal accountability and program integrity.