Chef Art Smith shares his recipe for Homestyle Fried Chicken with the Mr. Food Test Kitchen and we can guarantee that one bite of this southern classic and you’ll be in comfort food heaven!
What You’ll Need:
- 1 (3-1/2-pound) chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 1 cup self-rising flour
- 1/2 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- In a large bowl, toss chicken, buttermilk, and salt. Cover and refrigerate 1 hour.
- In a large deep skillet over medium-high heat, heat 1 inch oil until a deep-fry thermometer registers 360 degrees.
- Meanwhile, in a shallow bowl, mix flour, paprika, pepper, and garlic powder. Remove dark meat from buttermilk, shake off excess, and roll in flour mixture. Shake off excess flour, place in hot oil, and fry about 15 minutes, or until golden brown and cooked through, turning occasionally. (Adjust heat, as needed.) Drain on a paper towel-lined platter.
- Reheat oil to 360 degrees F. Repeat with chicken breasts and wings, frying about 15 minutes, or until golden brown and cooked through, turning occasionally. Drain on a paper towel-lined platter. Serve hot or at room temperature.